Sunday, March 13, 2005

Damn Old Movie Night - In A Lonely Place



*pic courtesy of atozee.com

My head is still full-o-gack, so I'll probably butcher my Damn Old review-y thing, but I'll take a crack at it.

This movie's LA noir-iffic. A suspiciously emotionless screenwriter (Humphrey Bogart) gets accused of murder, and is loved/suspected by his smoking-hot neighbor (Gloria Grahame). Humphrey Bogart spends the whole movie toeing the line between intriguing and frightening, hearkening back to his days as the thuggy character actor of his early film career. The film realistically explains and exposes the the connections between the good and bad sides of a 'passionate man'. Heady stuff.

In addition to being a great movie, 'In A Lonely Place' made me wicked homesick. Most of the movie takes place in a spanish courtyrd syle apartment complex, an architectural phenomenon not seen much of outside of Cali. The DVD extras had footage showing the original location in its current colorful state, and I almost ran out to the car and drove home to California.

Goddamn you, Pittsburgh. If you sucked a little less, I wouldn't be so freakin' moody.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 3/13/2005 08:16:00 AM

5 Comments

  1. Blogger Amanda B. posted at 1:22 PM  
    My mother-in-law lives in Pittsburgh. I don't know much about it have only seen peices, but the Ikea rocked!
  2. Blogger greatwhitebear posted at 4:45 PM  
    AWW, PITTSBURG AIN'T SO BAD. could be worse, could be CLEVELAND..or worse, or Atlanta!

    Excellent movie review! I'm a big Bogie fan, and I think this is one of his best!
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:58 PM  
    Kudos to you for giving credit to the image source. You may be spurious, but a Pilfering Plum you're not.
  4. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 11:24 PM  
    It's not like Pittsburgh is the land of Satan or anything, we just don't wanna be here. In our current circumstance, we're really just treading water here, so it's frustrating...Our friends and family are back home, and we miss them pretty bad!
  5. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:56 AM  
    i've never seen it but i'll watch out for it.

Post a Comment

« Home