Monday, March 14, 2005

Bootyquake - 2005

I've been hating a little too much on Pittsburgh, and swimming in the pool of my own self-pity is cold this time of year. So in an effort to try something new and different, I went to my very first bellydancing class at a friend's urging. I figured if nothing else, a tale containing the words "Pittsburgh" and "bellydancing" would be fun to whip out during future cocktail parties. Cause I go to tons of those.

The class was held in this big, old, freaky Pittsburgh mansion, with one floor dedicated exclusively to the study of bellydancing. How does that even happen? I want to live in a mansion! If I promise to spend my days teaching folks my skills (eating goldfish crackers and drinking diet coke), can I have a whole floor of the manse, too? You don't have to answer now. Just think about it and let me know.

At one point in the evening, we were supposed to be gracefully curling and waving our arms. Most people looked nice, but I kept thinking I looked like a windmill, or one of those monkeys from that 'Barrel of Monkeys' game:


* courtesy of Playtown-Toys.com

Immediately after I think this, our instructor says, "Everyone, just imagine you're one of those monkeys from that 'Barrel of Monkeys' game. It's easy!" Making me me laugh so hard, I lost track of where my butt was. And hey, that doesn't happen very often....

The class was actually really fun, and FYI, bellydancing's harder than it looks. My butt totally hurts, so it must've done some good. It was a cool experience, and I'm planning on going back next week. It's $10 a class, but having someone tell me once a week that I'm "really good at shaking it" is completely worth $10.

Oh, yes it is.
______________________________________
Random Fruit Facts - The Tamarind
*Courtesy of a nice lady named Monique who emailed me about the healthy properties of tamarinds . Thanks Monique!

"Scientific investigations have shown that tamarind and raw mango contain some proteins and glycolipids that bind with fluoride and thus protect us from fluoride poisoning."

Learn more about the mighty tamarind, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 3/14/2005 10:10:00 PM

8 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:46 AM  
    For some reason my husband happened into having a bellydancing diva component to three different bands he was in in three different cities. The middle eastern combo made sense, I could invent a connection to the trip hop thing, but punk rock? I guess everyone loves a belly dancer.
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:02 AM  
    Shake it baby, shake it!

    Lawbrat
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 11:02 AM  
    Shake it baby, shake it!

    Lawbrat
  4. Blogger Closet Metro posted at 2:31 PM  
    Aww, yeah! Shake it 'til it hurts!
  5. Blogger Unknown posted at 5:59 PM  
    I have a feeling my butt would be dangerous, perhaps putting the eye out of an unsuspecting neighbor. No, I'd better keep it under wraps. Waaaaaay under.

    Thanks for the comment on my blog. I love everything about yours. Argyle is my favorite. Nice organized and visually pleasing design. I've yet to fool with my blog. I'm afraid.

    Shakira watch out!

    BTW: My husband is latino and we almost named our baby Teo for Matteo. Instead we call him Sam.
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:39 PM  
    You go, girl! Get your monkey on!
  7. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 11:23 AM  
    You people are hilarious, but you need to know,I've got a big ass. Like different-zipcode-then-the-rest-of-me big. If I really, TRULY shake my ass, it'll cause the tectonic plates to shift, volcanos to explode, tsunamis to swish. In short, my ass could end the world, and no one wants that.

    Maybe just a jiggle...
  8. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 12:12 AM  
    Tamarindo!

    Am I a freak for liking to eat dried tamarind (after shucking the husky bit off?) So very tart, so aesthetically unappealing and seedy, yet satisfying in a pucker-the-insides-of-your-mouth way.

    And bellydancing? Hella fun. I wish the class I'd been in hadn't been so lame. There were those four girls you find in EVERY class, who just didn't get it, ever, so we kept going over the same stuff indefinitely. *sigh* Yes, I can be an impatient bitch. :(

    --ornery_chick

Post a Comment

« Home