Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Hungover Grover

Back in Pittsburgh. Hooray...(see, that's sarcasm). Nothing caught on fire or exploded in my suitcase, so I consider the trip a success. Thanks for all the helpful packing tips, I plan on preaching the Ziploc gospel from the mountaintops!

The wedding Mateo and I attended in LA was awesomeawesomeawesome. Saw tons of people and the bride could not have been more beautiful. CONGRATS CATHY, WE'RE SO HAPPY AND PROUD OF YOU!

Mateo will be back on Thursday with the camera (he stayed behind for another interview), so I'll post some pictures then. It's probably good that the camera's out of town, since I feel, and probably look, like holy hell. That's right. I've got a travel hangover.

The perils of jetlag are well documented, but has anyone out there ever had a travel hangover? Not the kind that happens when you drink 15 mini bottles of Jim Beam on the plane and try to kiss the 65 year old stewardess, that's a regular hangover. The kind where you're just completely wiped out after a big trip?

When Mateo and I visit LA, our asses get chewed up and spit out. We usually wake up for breakfast with my parents at 6:30AM, since Mama & Papa Spurious are retired and subsequently wake up at the crack of a chicken's ass. During the course of the day, we visit friends, family and attend social events-like weddings. In the evening, we go out and act like morons with our friends until around 3AM. And then we get up at 6:30AM to begin the cycle anew.

Do that for 5-6 days and your body gets PISSED.

By the time the plane touched down last night, I felt like I'd been worked over by experts. Experts with headache bats and tummy-twisting vice grips.

I'm looking forward to some leek soup, and a nice night of sleep. But I miss Mateo...
________________________________
Random Fruit Fact: The Lilly Pilly

Yes. There really IS a fruit called the lilly pilly. Say it out loud, it's totally fun. Well, I may just think it's fun because of the travel hangover...

"The lilly pilly is about the size of a small marble, but fruit size does vary from one species to another. Although lilly pilly fruit is edible, it is not very tasty. However, it is delicious made into a chutney"

I kind of feel ripped off. Any fruit with a name that silly should taste like raspberry candy or something similarly goofy.

Learn more about the lilly pilly, and get a good recipe for lilly pilly jelly, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 5/24/2005 12:12:00 PM

15 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:00 PM  
    Lilly Pilly Jelly is even more fun to say than lilly pilly.

    Welcome back, hon. We missed you. Now go get some rest.
  2. Blogger c posted at 1:12 PM  
    It IS fun to say it!

    Glad you're back, and yes, I almost ALWAYS get the trip hangover. Sucks. Drink loads of water and take a nap.
  3. Blogger Elizabeth posted at 1:21 PM  
    Missed ya, glad you are back, go nap immediately. :)
  4. Blogger Weetzie posted at 2:59 PM  
    SP,
    That kind of schedule would have me in bed for a week! Hope your energy returns quickly. I LOVE THE LILLY PILLY! I must make a note to say it every day! =)
  5. Blogger Jessica posted at 3:25 PM  
    Wooohoo!! Your back! Glad you had a kick ass time traveling. Lily Pilly is what i call my cat. I'll be sure to tell her shes now offically named after the fruit.
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:22 AM  
    I'm so glad you had a great time. All that exhaustion, travel, lack of sleep and you still did a Random Fruit Fact. You.Go.Girl
  7. Blogger Susie posted at 7:46 AM  
    Welcome back. (No Kotter.) As usual, your guests are giving good advice. Maximum nappage.
  8. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:28 AM  
    Welcome back!

    Lilly Pilly Lilly Pilly Lilly Pilly

    It's fun to type, too - all with the right hand!
  9. Blogger Unknown posted at 8:51 AM  
    Welcome back!

    Get some rest. You'll be feeling better soon. :)

    I hate it when you need a vacation from your vacation.
  10. Blogger Random and Odd posted at 11:23 AM  
    LILY PILLY!

    it does feel awesome rolling off my tounge!!
  11. Blogger Unknown posted at 11:26 AM  
    You cant say lilly pilly, willy nilly. Glad you had such a fun time and you're back well and safe to tell the tale. Hope Mateo does well in the interview also...

    Detox w/the soup, drink mucho water and get some rest now!
  12. Blogger Squirl posted at 11:40 AM  
    Wow, I'd be totally exhausted after that routine, too. Just changing time zones makes me tired. Get some rest. lilly pilly, huh?
  13. Blogger Echrai posted at 12:02 PM  
    I get them too. In fact, I try to plan all trips, even ones in the same time zone, with a day after buffer for that very reason.

    And I agree. Lilly pilly should taste like lemondrops or snozzberries or something yummy.
  14. Blogger Nessa posted at 12:39 PM  
    "crack of a chicken's ass!" - god, I missed you!!!!!!
  15. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 5:41 PM  
    Ladybug- Sure, saying lilly pilly jelly SOUNDS fun, but too bad it tastes kinda assy. I'll have to make some somehow...

    Airea- Lilly Pilly Kitty is fun to say too!

    Lawbrizzy- If I don't bring the fruit, the natives get restless and I get crabby emails. Boo. Thanks for the kudos.

    Susie- I've never actually seen that show, freaky, no?

    Kalki- Leave it to you to notice all that right handed business, smarty. Oh, John Stamos, John Stamos.

    CK-If only I could take a vacation vacation someplace that wasn't WORK.

    Kristine, Weetzie, Misfit and Squirl- Lilly Pilly 4 Eva, Playas!

    Laurenbove- willy nilly lilly pilly, man. That is tricky!

    Echrai- Ooo, snozzberries...must do some research...

    SFG and Sillynessa- I missed all of you too!

Post a Comment

« Home