Wednesday, May 11, 2005

All My Leek Bitches, Say HO!

Anyone like leeks?



I love all the fruit of the world equally, but I play favorites with veggies, and this is mine. Kinda like a mild onion, kinda like...well, just tasty. Anyway, courtesy of Mateo, #1 spouse, tonight was homemade leek soup night. And people, you get the receta (that's recipe in spanish):

Sopa de Porro y Arroz
(Leek and Rice Soup)

Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 large leeks white and pale green parts only washed and thinly cut crosswise
(about 2 cups)
2 med garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced into ¼ inch slices
½ tsp cumin
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
½ tsp salt or to taste
4 cups chicken broth
¼ cup long grain white rice
2 Tbsps chopped cilantro/flat leaf parsley
1 Tbsp water

Equipment
1 pointy knife for serious veggie chopping
1 big pot for soup stirring

Heat oil in your big pot over medium-low heat. Add Mr. Leek, and his friend Mr. Garlic, and 1 tablespoon of water. Cook them up, ignoring their piteous screams, stirring frequently until floppy and tender, 6-8 minutes. Add remaining ingredients to your big pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to simmer, until veggies and rice are tender, about 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning if you're a salt freak (like me).

Chow the fuck down.


__________________________________
Random Veg Fact: The Leek

"With a more delicate and sweeter flavor than onions, leeks add a subtle touch to recipes without overpowering the other flavors that are present. Although leeks are available throughout the year they are in season from the fall through the early part of spring when they are at their best."

So it's not a fruit. In the immortal words of your mother, "quit crying, or I'll give you something to cry about." Learn more about the majesty of Mr. Leek, here.

Yum!

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 5/11/2005 08:50:00 PM

11 Comments

  1. Blogger c posted at 10:34 PM  
    LOVE leeks. The cooking aroma...heavenly. Potato leek soup (aka vichyssoise) is me FAVORITE.
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:42 AM  
    That looks very, very tasty. Leeks are fabulous! I'm going to have to try this out!
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:35 AM  
    Yay, a new recipe!

    Are leeks anything like ramps? (I've never had either one, but ramps be real popular here in Redneck Valley.)

    I like shallots.
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:39 AM  
    Okay, my Google sources tell me that leeks ARE ramps, that ramps ARE leeks. Only I like "leek" better than "ramp" because "ramp" sounds too much like "rank."

    I have family in West Virginia and in WVa they have community ramp dinners. You should come, Plum.
  5. Blogger Susie posted at 9:10 AM  
    My daughter is just getting interested in cooking, and will eat more vegetables if they are in something she helps prepare. She and I will make your lovely soup together. We will call it "Plum Soup." However, when I printed out the recipe to share with my daughter, I elected to omit the final instruction. I trust that the soup will still turn out delicious. Deliciously? It will taste good.
  6. Blogger Unknown posted at 10:10 AM  
    Aww...Plummy you've given me inspiration. I must buy and cook these leeks. You did such a beautiful job with the cutting.

    Very nicely done.

    I made chicken and dumplings last night to die for good. Tag me if you want the skinny, minnie.
  7. Blogger Jessica posted at 11:48 AM  
    That looks / sounds so good....i guess i'm having soup for dinner tonight!
  8. Blogger mary bishop posted at 12:13 PM  
    Oh that looks so good, any hints on getting the sand out? I've just soaked them but have had times where sand clings to the leek though I try to pass it off as cracked black pepper.
  9. Blogger Echrai posted at 12:16 PM  
    Thanks for the tag and mmmm... I LOVE leeks. One of my all time favorites.
  10. Blogger Torrie posted at 5:16 PM  
    I, of course use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
    I also puree that bitch, to futher torture the veggies. I don't like tortuting animals, but I'm all for torturing veggies.
  11. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 10:01 PM  
    Misfit- Share, share, share! Yummy vichyssoise!

    Summer- Everyone loves leeks 'that way' be real.

    Lawbrat, Spoonie, Airea and Echrai- Leeks rock, glad I'm not alone. Leek posse in the house!

    Kalki- 'ramp dinners'? Whole dinners made out of leeks? Can I come now?

    Susie- Just pour my recipies through the cuss strainer, and it'll be fine. Let us know how it turns out!

    Laurenbove- Tag! Tag! Dumplings! Yes!

    Marybishop- Chop the leek normally and then rinse it out in a strainer. Just make sure you shake all the water out before cooking.

    Torrie- I emailed you a substitute. Love it when those veggies scream. EEEEE!

Post a Comment

« Home