Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Ready, Get Set...PACK!

Sorry for the non-blogging, I'm a total bastard. If you like excuses, Mateo and I are scurrying around getting ready for a trip to LA tomorrow, and we're trying to settle up the house and get everything packed.

I'm not an organized person, so I freak when packing for any journey lasting longer than the 8 hours I spend at work. Knowing what's absolutely necessary is not my strong suit, and as a result, I wind up taking the entire contents of our house. Just in case.

My latest packing strategy involves elaborate lists which contain every blessed item in the suitcase, so I can dramatically cross off each one as I pack. Sure, it sounds organized, any strategy with a list sounds organized, but I guarantee I'll be taking all sorts of useless items. Meaning I’ll wind up in LA with a hedgehog, a package of water balloons, 19 pairs of flip flops, and no pants.

On this trip my packing freakery level is up a notch, since Mateo's got two (!!!) interviews for librarian positions back in LA. We'd really like to get the HELL out of Pittsburgh in an expiditious fashion, so we're trying doubly hard to remember all his job stuff. Stuff like hand-typed applications and copies of diplomas/transcripts that prove he's an actual, factual librarian*. Stuff like ties and jackets and fancy shiny shoes. Hand lotion is not permitted to explode on these items.

We're also attending a wedding this trip (Congrats, C-Dawg!), which means fancy outfits and cute high heels. It means presents, greeting cards and driving directions. It means my sassy dress in a plastic bag so it doesn’t get trashed when my eye shadow breaks and covers the contents of our suitcase with a fine lavender dust.

After packing these items, we’ve got to get down on our damn knees to pray to the pagan shampoo volcano gods that my Bumble and Bumble doesn’t erupt all over Mateo’s freshly bond-paper printed resumes.

I think I’m freaking out.

*How the hell did they hire librarians before there were master's degrees? "We'll need a list of your favorite books, a copy of your birth certificate and a stool sample, thanks!".
______________________________________________
Random Fruit Fact: The Thimbleberry

“Thimbleberry derives its name from the shape of its fruit. The species name parviflorus means “small-flowered,” a curious choice for this shrub, whose flowers are among the largest in the genus. The fruits are important seasonal food for numerous birds and mammals, including bears, and are a welcome, if not inspired, trailside snack.”

Hmm. Thimbles… Maybe I should take a sewing kit too…or an entire seamstress. Do they let you take people in your carry-on? Learn more about the thimbleberry, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 5/18/2005 09:38:00 PM

27 Comments

  1. Blogger Random and Odd posted at 11:22 AM  
    I bet Sacramento needs a couple Libriaririrans!!

    I would love to have my blogging friend living close!
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 12:30 PM  
    Have a fantastic trip! Cant wait to hear about it when you get back.
  3. Blogger mary bishop posted at 12:54 PM  
    Enjoy your trip and remember, if you forget something you can always buy it once you get there...
  4. Blogger c posted at 1:10 PM  
    Sweetie...put all the stuff that could possibly explode and ruin nice things in plastic zip-top bags (the gallon-sized ones are usually big enough for shampoo bottles). It will change your life.

    You could get even MORE crazy and double bag them. Not that I do that or anything.

    Shut up.
  5. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:42 PM  
    I would leave the hedgehog in Pittsburg, it is too late in the season here (LA) for fur.
    Expected high today 76, Thursday 80, Friday 78, Saturday 83.

    It should be a beautiful weekend. Safe travels!
  6. Blogger Torrie posted at 1:53 PM  
    Yeah, I'm not really into the whole you not blogging thing.
    Don't you know that you are here to entertain me?
    You better find some fucking internet access in California, biatch!
  7. Blogger Jessica posted at 3:27 PM  
    All you need is underwear, wallet, keys,shampoo, brush and flipflops. Thats the essentials. Even if you forget everything else, with those your good to go! Have fun!
  8. Blogger Squirll posted at 4:27 PM  
    I was a libray circulation assistant for 4 years in college. wow. good times. good luck hunting...
  9. Blogger Squirll posted at 4:28 PM  
    oh. i forgot my packing advice. which will probally not help you on this trip. but on future. put your luggage out a week or so ahead. when you think of something you might need. throw it in.
  10. Blogger Elizabeth posted at 4:34 PM  
    I second Torrie's comments. Do you not realize you are here to make me laugh? Jeez, man, what the fuck? Come on now...it is all about me. When you no blog, I no laugh. Well, I laugh at other blogs but it is not the same thing. Priorities, it's all about priorities.

    Also, your list of packing cracked me up. :)
  11. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 5:28 PM  
    i have lots of beauty products. if you need anything in a hurry, CALL ME.
  12. Blogger Weetzie posted at 6:51 PM  
    I love this post! I always tend to be a "whole house" packer too but I found out how to break that habit: wait until the very last minute and just throw in what you think you need. Of course, the fact that you have weddings and interviews does complicate things a wee bit. Happy Travels!
  13. Blogger Squirl posted at 7:38 PM  
    I am definitely a just-in-case type of packer. I also make many lists. Does not assure that everything will go that needs to. I'm with misfit on packing all explodable stuff in heavy-duty plastic bags.

    Anyway, have a great time!
  14. Blogger Unknown posted at 8:34 AM  
    Take a deep breath, Plum. All will be well. Put any of the potentially messy items in plastic bags.

    Have fun!

    You know, if you forget your pants, you don't have to worry about pantylines or anything...
  15. Blogger Unknown posted at 8:34 AM  
    Take a deep breath, Plum. All will be well. Put any of the potentially messy items in plastic bags.

    Have fun!

    You know, if you forget your pants, you don't have to worry about pantylines or anything...
  16. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 8:56 AM  
    "Maybe I should take a sewing kit too…or an entire seamstress. Do they let you take people in your carry-on?"

    Are you saying you want to take Lord Duncan on your trip? Yes. Yes, I think you are.
  17. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:00 AM  
    Oh, and ZIPLOC BAGS, girl. If being a mother has taught me anything, it's that ZIPLOC BAGS ARE MY FRIEND. Seal your makeup in one, your hand lotion in another, and your shampoo/conditioner/various and sundry hair products in a gallon-size bag. Any explosions will be somewhat contained. Take extra Ziplocs, too, just in case. (I'm a "just in case" kind of gal.)
  18. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:01 AM  
    Well, shit. I just realized mrtl beat me to the punch on the Ziploc thing. A mother after my own heart.

    And now I done went and triple-commented.

    Shutting up now.
  19. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:27 AM  
    Oh God. It wasn't mrtl. It was misfit. And I am now OFFICIALLY an idiot. Also, mildly retarded.

    I'm so sorry for cluttering your comments, Spurious.
  20. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:49 AM  
    Safe travels! And best of luck to Mateo.

    And I know you've heard this enough already, but PLASTIC BAGS ARE THE PLANE TRAVELER'S BEST FRIEND. Well, actually, booze before noon is probably the plane traveler's best friend, but plastic bags are a close second.
  21. Blogger c posted at 12:45 PM  
    LadyBug, I am laughing hysterically here!! You are too funny.

    (and, still, I cannot comment on your blog. :-( )
  22. Blogger Closet Metro posted at 1:17 PM  
    If you fear the shampoo explosion, don't pack it, just find a drugstore when you get to El Lay. (Says the guy who accidentally went on a trip without packing any underwear. Turns out you can buy those in other cities, too.)
  23. Blogger cakeboom posted at 6:17 AM  
    you're probably gone by now. hope you're having fun!!
    but hey, i love an excuse to buy new shampoo. i'm a shampoo whore on a bald man's budget.

    live it up in l.a., plum!
  24. Blogger Susie posted at 11:21 AM  
    I know you're on your way; I've lurked this week, but haven't been commenting much. Have a wonderful trip, can't wait to see you in your pretty Lord Duncan dress!
  25. Blogger Unknown posted at 12:10 PM  
    You will be missed. Come back sooN!
  26. Blogger Annejelynn posted at 11:02 AM  
    ahhh, wondered where you be-be...

    by the way, thimbleberry jam is delicious! almost like raspberry and allllmost better - but I'm loyal to raspberries all the way
  27. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 12:15 PM  
    Goodness! You all were busy while I was out...Thanks for all the comment love!

Post a Comment

« Home