Friday, July 29, 2005

A Special Post For Captain Sarcasm

Last night my old friend, Captain Sarcasm, flew in for a visit and gave me a hard time for not having anything nice to say about Pittsburgh on my blog. Bucko, I've lived here for two long, looooong years, and this is all I've got:

THINGS I LIKE ABOUT PITTSBURGH


#1 - The Lego Guy in Shadyside. C'mon. He's a pirate! ARRRR!


#2 - The beer grotto in Regent Square. Beer and a grotto? HOT!


#3 - The giant orange fish at Nakama. Since Pennsylvania's a landlocked state, I won't be getting sushi there. T'aint natural.


#4 - The National Aviary, with their fatty, turkey-sized Victoria crowned pigeons. The National Aviary website notes that Victoria crowned pigeons are "by far the largest and perhaps the most magnificent of all pigeons". I wish all pigeons looked like that...they wouldn't get that flying rat rap so often.


#5 - Cecil the Teenage Raccoon. He's the ultimate forager. He's tolerated because, other than looking a sorta stoned, he's really cute. And if you're cute, you get foraging privileges at my house. Yes, this applies to Mateo, too.


#6 - Lots of bridges. The only city in the world with more bridges than Pittsburgh is St. Petersburg, Russia. Unlike St. Petersburg, you can sometimes wear shorts in Pittsburgh. For like a month. Maybe.


#7 - Our neighbor's dog, Java. Holy shit, I love this dog. I get back from work and she's in our neighbor's yard, shaking her furry little ass off. Doesn't she look like she's smiling? She likes rolling in my yard. Can you tell? Goddamn, I need a dog.


#8 - Ahh, the beauty of decay. Everything in Pittsburgh is sorta falling apart. But it usually looks at least interesting while it's doing it. I mean, come on, when has a rotting VW van ever looked so cool?


#9 - The very best thing about Pittsburgh is when really old friends come to visit. That's so cheesy, I'll even use sepia. Muchas smoochas, Captain Sarcasm! Thanks for the visit!

________________________________________
Random Fruit Fact: The Honeyberry

The honeyberry's from Russia, maybe it's been to St. Petersburg...

"The honeyberry is related to the honeysuckle. However, unlike the honeysuckle, this small tree produces edible blue berry-like fruit usually in early summer."

Learn more about the honeyberry, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 7/29/2005 10:08:00 AM

11 Comments

  1. Blogger Elizabeth posted at 10:19 PM  
    You have to admit that there are very few cities that back up their professional sports team like Da Burgh does though. Am I right?
  2. Blogger kilowatthour posted at 3:43 PM  
    you know what? i lived in cleveland for four years, and hated it the whole gray, dreary time. but even now, 9 years later, there are things i miss! like presti's doughnuts at 4am, and the leaves turning yellow in the fall, and... um, that other thing. anyway, i totally understand the late-inning nostalgia. go with it.
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 7:48 PM  
    I cant wait to wear shorts for more than a month. And not have to shovel 10 feet of snow. That. Is. All.
  4. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 9:25 PM  
    SFG- I declined to take part in a football pool at work for the Steelers and summarily given stink eye for weeks. They're serious.

    MRTL- Um. HELL NO! This was solely for Captains Sarcasm's benefit...except for Java and Cecil. I'll love them no matter what. Even if Cecil can give me rabies.

    kilowatt- Thanks. I was starting to feel like a sucka.

    lawbrizzle- Tell me about it. 10 feet? Eep!
  5. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:38 PM  
    Spurious- Thanks again for the tour. It was great to see you guys again and I had fun. No really I did.I'll get you two some chorizo, horchata, and lots of beer if you ever come visit us.
  6. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 11:02 PM  
    Captain Sarcasm - Liar. But thanks for visiting anyway. Next time, bring Chocomilk.
  7. Blogger mary bishop posted at 10:27 AM  
    The VW looks like it's crying...what a sad VW!
  8. Blogger Ern posted at 3:58 PM  
    I think I might be hard pressed to come up with that many things I like about the city where we live. I was sitting around with some friends the other night and we all ranked our current city last out of all the places we've lived.
  9. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 10:32 PM  
    Marybishop- If rust=tears, than pittsburgh=la llorona!

    Ern-At least it's warm...and there's bougainvilla. BTW, I seriously thought of you when I posted that victoria pigeon...how'd you get in my brain?
  10. Blogger Effie posted at 3:43 PM  
    I just have to say that Pittsburgh rocks! My hubby and I have done a few big road trips and we made it to Pittsburgh at least twice now--one of our favourite destinations--I love it! Rivers, mountains, bridges, tunnels--all you could ask for!
  11. Blogger Closet Metro posted at 12:54 PM  
    The Beauty of Decay?

    Break it down again, sister.

Post a Comment

« Home