Thursday, February 10, 2005

Light That Shit Up!

For some reason I'm super excited about the recent lighting of the Vincent Thomas Bridge in my hometown of San Pedro, CA.
Vincent Thomas Bridge
Isn't it pretty!

In the daytime the bridge is an awesome, weird-ass shade of green as seen here, hanging with his homie the Goodyear Blimp:
Vincent Thomas Bridge
Bridge: "¿Que Onda, Blimp?"
Blimp: "¿What’s Up, Ese?"

Since eveything else in my hometown is named after a saint (Pedro's small, but it's one of the largest Catholic parishes in the US), I always called it the 'St. Vincent Thomas Bridge' until my mother finally broke down and intervened a few months ago. "I'm sure Mr. Thomas was a very nice man," she said, "but I'm almost positive he wasn't a saint." Bull. She ain't Catholic, I'm holding out.

As is the case with most hometowns, when I lived in San Pedro I couldn't wait to get out. But now that I'm all old and crusty, I'm fascinated by the way it holds onto it's freaky little identity while flanked with the vastness of LA. Not that I'd ever move back there or anything. For God's sake, my parents live there. Given the slightest opportunity, my mom would break into my apartment on a daily basis to see if I was taking my birth control pills correctly (she's done this once already).

A word of advice, no matter what scary-ass, life-threatening situation your mom cooks up, NEVER give her a key. Ever.

Hey you. Yeah you, mama's boy. Don't think you're exempt from this. I'm talking about your mom too. EVER.
_________________________________________________
Random Fruit Fact: The Blueberry

Cause the little blue lights look like 'em. See? I'm obsessed!

"In 18th century Germany blueberries, either fresh or dried, were soaked in water to make infusions or syrups. The infusions were then used in the treatment of coughs, diarrhea, gout, and rheumatism, to relieve symptoms of typhoid fever, as a mouthwash to soothe mouth ulcers, as a diuretic, and to prevent against scurvy."

Learn more about blueberries giving the big 'Fuck you' to scurvy, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 2/10/2005 02:26:00 PM

4 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 6:55 PM  
    Sugar Plum, I heart you mightily. The bridge and the blimp.. they just gotta keep on keepin' on.

    xoxo Rachel "sockopus rocksopus!"
  2. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 1:06 PM  
    Thats strange, I always refered to the bridge as St. Vincent Thomas.
    I wonder where that comes from.
    Pedro rocks, but only to visit for a busy bee.
  3. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 11:55 PM  
    James? Is that you?

    Go Busy Bee!
  4. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 2:48 PM  
    funny! it took me a long time not to call this beauty, yes I love her, : SAINT *g* Vincent Thomas Bridge....

    yes, like Busy Bee, too!!! yummmm....

Post a Comment

« Home