Friday, June 17, 2005

Where Are You From

Thank you Susie, for finding this.

I am from tiny, stork-shaped sewing scissors, from Diet Coke and Goldfish crackers.

I am from Grandma’s kitchen, warm, yellow with sunshine, and filled with special cinnamon sugar toast smells "made special with love" just for me.

I am from the hydrangeas in a bed of rusty nails, and the African violets my Mama kept happily steamed in our shower, next to the shampoo.

I am from driving to Oak Glen/Snowline for fresh pressed cider every autumn and big Dutch feet. From cousin Fish and from my grandpas: Marc Jack and William Theodore. Grandpa’s who loved me and my family with such strength and joy that my throat catches just typing their names.

I am from an impenetrable labyrinth of inside jokes and cast-off animal hoarding.

From “Up the wild wazoo” and “I’ve got a bone to pick with you”.

I am from loving God and hating church. From a family whose ‘church’ took their entire material lives away with a smile, and asked for more, more, more.

I'm from Long Beach, CA, and a muddled Dutch genetic makeup, from homemade ‘Green Death’ and ‘Nectar of the Gods’.

From the night Papa Spurious took us to a Dodger game when we were dateless for the junior high school dance. Uncomplainingly hanging out with seven 13 year-old girls as we sang songs, danced in the aisles and ate a metric ton of stadium food (which he paid for). When I asked him about it years later he said it was totally worth it just to see our seven smiles. From great-uncle Fred and great-aunt Myrtle’s Burger King commercial escapades. From the thousand painful surgeries my sweetest un-complaining cousin has had to endure.

I am from 6 feet of classical music records in the den and from a garage filled with family detritus, ancient photos and cat hair covered furniture that, if damaged, would completely shatter my mother’s heart.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 6/17/2005 02:03:00 PM

17 Comments

  1. Blogger Torrie posted at 2:44 PM  
    Love it!
    Your dad sounds awesome.
  2. Blogger Jessica posted at 2:46 PM  
    Beautiful, i'm gonna try to get one up this weekend as well.
  3. Blogger LadyBug posted at 2:52 PM  
    That was beautiful, Plum. Just lovely.
  4. Blogger c posted at 2:55 PM  
    The Dodgers story has me crying. That's the kind of Dad I wish I had, and the kind of Dad my Sophie *does* have.
  5. Blogger kt77 posted at 6:00 PM  
    the dodgers bit got me, too. here's to sweet funny families.
  6. Blogger Annejelynn posted at 6:12 PM  
    this meme is the best, isn't it? I love it = what a wonderful reality check, eh?
    I can totally relate to your throat catching, just by typing your Gpas' names - I was an emotional mud puddle when I typed mine.
    Thanks for sharing!!!
  7. Blogger Nilbo posted at 6:49 PM  
    (sigh) Beautiful. How I'm loving these life poems ...
  8. Blogger mary bishop posted at 7:01 PM  
    Oh I love this meme...I love the selection process and what is chosen to write about...so so good...your family sounds wonderful...
  9. Blogger kilowatthour posted at 7:08 PM  
    I love this! And I'm from stork-shaped scissors, too.
  10. Blogger Unknown posted at 8:52 PM  
    Oh wow, Spurious -- that's just plain beautiful. You made me feel the love you had for your Grandpas.

    Hugs to you!
  11. Blogger Ern posted at 1:30 AM  
    A great contribution to this meme. But no fruit anywhere to be seen in your history?

    I am slowly breaking down. I might actually write this one. :)
  12. Blogger Squirl posted at 6:37 AM  
    Plum, that was great. I really liked doing mine. It was a challenge as Susie said it needed to be different from Bucky's. Your dad sounds really cool.
  13. Blogger Katy Barzedor posted at 6:37 AM  
    You can tell a lot about somebody's childhood from this meme. Sounds like yours was full of love and laughter.

    And fake fruit.
  14. Blogger fred posted at 1:07 PM  
    Thanks for this. I'll add it to the growing list at Fragments.
  15. Blogger Susie posted at 3:29 PM  
    Oh, Plum. You put out so much love, goodness, kindness. Now we see that so much of those things have been put into you. Crying here. Because your words are so beautiful, and . . . other reasons I don't quite get, yet. No, wait, I know . . . happiness for you, for having been loved, for being loved, this way. Yep, that's it.

    Again, thanks to Jana and HDL. I'm just a swiper/copycat, etc. :)
  16. Blogger Suzanna Danna posted at 10:38 AM  
    beautiful... i wish i had the words... and the talent
  17. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 8:13 PM  
    You guys are so sweet.

    Torrie- My Papa is my favorite person.

    Airea- Yay! I'll make sure to check.

    Ladybug- Thanks for the sweet words. From a sweet bug.

    Misfit- Oh honey, don't cry! Pesky internet. Where's the hug technology when you really need it?!

    kt77- Oh, we've got the funny part in spades...

    Annejelynn- It's hard, I always think I can drive to either of my grandparents houses and everyone will still be there with arms flung wide for hugs. Hugs for you, Annejelynn.

    Nilbo- DO IT!!!!!

    Marybishop- Thank you. I sure do love my little family.

    kilowatthour- Where do those scissors come from?

    CK- Hugs right back atcha, sweets.

    Ern- DO IT!!!!! I wanna learn about Ern. Ooh. Rhymes.

    Squirl- Be happy you have a sister to share all that good stuff with. Especially a sister like Bucky!

    BFE- Thanks lady, but there were no assless chaps in my childhood...guess there's always room for improvement. Be nice to Squirl. She's loverly.

    Fred- Wow...thanks for visiting! And thanks for adding my little thoughts.

    Susie- Man, look what you did, I'm crying at you crying. You're the most beautiful of all the Susie's. Big hug!

    Suzanna- You've got plenty of words. I've seen 'em. You totally know how to use them! Hop to it!

Post a Comment

« Home