Friday, April 01, 2005

Que Seriosa + Beer

Writing about serious issues is not my forte. Political and ideological ground is often quite sufficiently covered people by with a greater writing skill than I posess.

But I came home depressed today, and I want to discuss it here. Several people at my workplace got into a major, name-calling, ideological fight over recent issues in the press, namely the events surrounding Terri Schaivo's death and the illness of Pope John Paul.

Given recent media attention, I'm sure you've formed your own opinion on these issues for good or ill, and I suppose have mine as well. The thing that saddened and disturbed me was that the slinging of insults on both sides of the fence occurred in my workplace. Phrases like 'murderer', 'child molester', 'character assassins' and 'media whores' were thrown around as if they meant nothing, and were sometimes taken from the argument and applied from one co-worker to another.

The only reason I go to work is to get money, and I keep my opinions to myself. Work just doesn't seem like the place to stage heated ideological arguments, the results of which are unprofessional and undesirable. I don't claim to be the most professional person myself, but I confine my non-vocational behavior to wearing flip-flops, cussing like a sailor, and coming back drunk from lunch. When I want to hash out ideals and morals, I have plenty of non-work folks I can turn to after hours. People who don't resort to simple insults to get their point across.

I'm going to start getting my Friday Hoegaarden on, and watch Omniyoji. Maybe I can shake these ideological blues.
__________________________________
Random Fruit Fact: The Loganberry

"Judge J.H. Logan was an interested backyard plant breeder, who began experimenting with breeding small fruits in his home garden at Logan Heights near Santa Cruz, California. Unsatisfied with the many varieties of blackberries, Judge Logan tried to cross two varieties of blackberries and unwittingly planted next to an old variety of red raspberry which had been cultivated for years in the area. The canes of all three fruited and flowered together and Judge Logan gathered and planted the seed. The 50 seedlings grew and produced a plant which was similar to the blackberry parent Aughinbaugh variety, but much larger and stronger. This, of course, was the Loganberry; a cross between the blackberry and raspberry."

The loganberry's fake! Just like me! Learn more about the loganberries sheisty qualities, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 4/01/2005 08:52:00 PM

6 Comments

  1. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 10:14 PM  
    Your right on the money with the political stuff. Everyone has differing opinions, and you'd think people would leave the sandbox behind and learn to accept others as they are and not try to beat their opinions into others heads.

    lawbrat
  2. Blogger Caroline posted at 3:33 AM  
    Well just to up your karma factor or whatever, I lurve your blog. And, just out of curiosity, what is your opinion on that stuff?
  3. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 9:09 AM  
    Thank you Plum, for reminding me that I shouldn't bitch too much about working from home. I'm sure that's the kind of crap that was/is going on at my home office. It all starts out civil enough.
  4. Blogger Echrai posted at 12:00 PM  
    I love engaging in political debates but only when 1. I'm informed on the topic and 2. I'm debating against someone who doesn't stoop to personal attacks. That happened recently on someone else's blog - I presented facts and statutes, I was called an idiot, a scaredy cat, and a few other terms. Thankfully, when called upon it the person did return to a more factual argument. But for the most part, when they start that, I have to walk away. That's not a debate. And I don't do personal attacks. Even when you feel strongly, you should never lose sight of the fact that there will always be at least two sides to every issue.
  5. Blogger Spurious Nurse posted at 11:02 AM  
    GM - Sorry, dude, refried beans aren't any better...try powered by the strength of hard work and family pride. Yeah. Viva mi Familia!

    Lawbrat - Yep, I thought that sandboxes were for little kids, not grownups wearing their favorite 'power tie'.

    Caroline - I'd really rather not say. THis is one of those issues where there is no right or wrong answer, and someone's bound to be nedlessly pissed when I throw my 2 cents in. But thanks for asking!

    Kitsune - Your own 'writing acumen' must be pretty good. I mean, you just used 'acumen' in a sentence, right? Good job!

    MRTL - Sister, you have it GOOOOOD.

    Echrai - I'm sorry people were mean to you! Shall I kill them for you?
  6. Anonymous Anonymous posted at 12:20 PM  
    "Unsatisfied with the many varieties of blackberries"

    Who is this guy? I know that they did not have the overwhelming media barrage when Judge Logan was doing his Thang Thang but I never ate a piece of fruit and gone "I kinda like it but I just ain't satisfied. I know, I'm gonna do something about it."

    Another thing... Judge Logan lives in Logan Heights and names his "creation" the Logan Berry. Dude, get over yourself.

    El Guapo

Post a Comment

« Home