Thursday, June 30, 2005

State of the Spurious Address + Surprise! Chicago Is Better Than Pittsburgh

First off, a heads up.

I've been cheating and posting lots of pictures, but this shit isn't a photo blog. Here's why I've been such a lame-ass:

A.) Lots of traveling. In the past month or so, Mateo and I have been to LA , DC, and Chicago. This has impinged upon time I'd generally use skulking around on your blogs and (gasp!) actually posting to my OWN blog. My upcoming schedule shouldn't be as crazy. I hope not. God, I hope not.

B.) Work has been a sandy little butthole. Two huge crappy projects have seriously cut into my regular work schedule (wherein I work for an hour, and loaf for another seven). Commenting, responding to your comments and generally being a nice bloggy person hasn't happened like it should. I'm a BITCH. This should stop as of tomorrow. This better stop as of tomorrow, or I'll start snapping people's bras at work.

C.) Our impending move. Sorry folks, this'll only get worse in coming months. Mateo and I are outta here on September 1st, at the very latest. WOOHOO! Now if I only didn't have to organize the move...

Rest assured, I love you all desperately and wish we could all mack-out without Mateo getting all jealous and wanting to tape it.

That said, onto the bloggy writey thingy.
********************************************************
So. Chicago!

Wow, was it hot. Hottest day in 10 years hot. Hot enough to set burps alight as they exit your mouth. Hot enough to turn pigeons into roasted squab, which was subsequently sold at 'Taste of Chicago' for exorbitant sums of money (I have no cojones, so I passed). Hot enough that Mateo and I decided to walk for FIVE MILES next to the lake because we were morons. Lots of sweat and whining was involved on my part. Lots of patience and achey feet in dress shoes were involved on the part of Mateo. Good times.

Though I wish Mateo had been able to get away from the conference more, we still had an awesome time. We went to the Art Institute and pulled a Ferris Beuller on the Seurat . I went to Wicker Park and Bucktown (that what that 'buck,buck,buck' business was all about) . I visited the Shedd Aquarium and shat my wannabe-marine-biologist pants. There were beluga whales, and sea otters, and a sea lion, and pacific white sided dolphins, and penguins, and...can I live there? I'll be good. I swear.

Oh, and the food! We saw our old friend Miss Maria and had some tasty chilequiles. We ate Columbian roasted chicken and Costa Rican plantains. The streets were filled with Mexican food, and I had a conversation in SPANISH with a street vendor. My Spanish sucked, but SPANISH. Hot damn, that felt good.

We got drunk with librarians (who are without fail the best drunks ever), went to awesome indy record stores, and rode the janky subway. It was completely unlike Pittsburgh, yet I felt more at home in Chicago than I ever have in the 'Burgh. Sigh.

Hopefully we can move back to LA and get our big city livin' started back up soon (not that NYC doesn't have its charms, Torrie) .
____________________________________
Random Fruit Fact: The Almond

Is it a fruit? I'm not sure if it's even a fruit...

"After the petals drop and the trees have leafed out, the first signs of fuzzy gray-green "fruit" appear as the result of successful pollination. The fruit's hull continues to harden and mature, and in July, begins to split open."

I'll be. I guess it is. Learn more about the almonds nutty fruitiness, here.

Posted by Spurious Nurse at 6/30/2005 09:10:00 PM

9 Comments

  1. Blogger Torrie posted at 9:36 PM  
    Ok, I'd like to point out (again) that although you have been traveling all over the fucking place, you have yet to take the short trip to NYC.

    And yes, I know I could come visit you too, but I'm the no money invalid who has to take care of four animals. Plus, NY is better than Pittsburg.

    Wouldn't it be funny if after all this time living relatively close to each other we finally end up meeting in Cali, when I come there in October?
  2. Blogger c posted at 10:11 PM  
    Fun, fun, fun, I wanna go back home to Chicago. I miss it. Even though I only lived in the 'burbs (only a half hour from the city, dudes) until I was six, our extended family lived (and lives still) there so we'd go back several times a year. We (my current little nuclear family) haven't been back for two years. Gotta go soon.

    And shut UP. That's not fat, them's damned impressive cheekbones. I know cheekbones when I see 'em, and you got 'em. Accept it and shut UP.
  3. Blogger Elizabeth posted at 6:54 AM  
    I think before you move, you need to truly experience humidity and come down to Louisiana. You do not know torture until you have walked the short distance from your front door to your car and have lost limbs from the MELTING.
  4. Blogger Unknown posted at 7:51 AM  
    Oh yay! I'm so glad you had a good time in Chicago! And YES, it's been HAWT here. Today, though, today it is finally lovely and not so freakin humid.

    And the Shedd Aquarium, purty cool, eh? :)
  5. Blogger Weetzie posted at 10:45 AM  
    you went to the ALA convention, huh? I have librarian friends that went also..woohoo. I am a librarian wannabee so maybe someday........
    thanks for stopping by my blog today! =)
  6. Blogger Squirl posted at 12:49 PM  
    Sounds like you had a great time in Chicago. We'll take whatever blogging time you have considering the big move coming up. :-)
  7. Blogger Amanda B. posted at 4:21 PM  
    I will do a happy moving dance for you. It will be heartfelt but not pretty.
  8. Blogger Susie posted at 1:04 PM  
    Happy holiday!
    I don't really get drunk anymore, but if I did? Librarians, all the way. Librarians and people named after juicy fruits, that is exactly with whom I would get drunk, if I still did.

    You know what's funny (or pathetic), I sometimes think, when I read here, "Oh, no, my friend Plum is moving so far away." And then I think, "Shut up, Susie, you crazy fool! It doesn't matter with blogfriends!" (Just a little glimpse behind the curtain;)
  9. Blogger LadyBug posted at 8:41 AM  
    Y'know, I just read recently that eating almonds can help you lose weight.

    So I tripled my daily consumption of Hershey's with Almonds.

    It doesn't seem to be working yet. I may have to add another bar or two.

Post a Comment

« Home